Sunday, March 04, 2007

Me, Myself, and I

Last night I took Chieko down to the bus station. She's in Tokyo until we head back to the States on Thursday looking at wedding dresses. I didn't go because I'd rather not go insane for three days. I'll be joining her there on Wednesday, and we'll stay at a hotel near the airport that night. Narita Airport (aka Tokyo International Airport) is actually about an hour outside of Tokyo, and our flight is pretty early on Thursday, and getting there the night before will allow me bonus time to watch big airplanes take off and land before we leave!!
So I've got three days to embrace the shell of bachelor that is withering up inside of me. Given this opportunity to 'sew my oats,' as they say, what have I done so far? I did what any self-respecting man with the house to himself for a few days would do: I cleaned the sh*t out of this apartment. I was on my knees like Cinderella scrubbing the floors with a rag, which reminds me, it's time to by a mop.
They sell these really powerful bathroom cleaning solutions here. There like 95% bleach, and 5% acid. So I was in the shower today scrubbing away for about 20 minutes, after which my eyes and lungs burned, and my nose was running like a faucet. I've probably done serious damage to myself but damn that shower is clean.
I'll be spending the next few days packing and getting ready to leave, and making sure there isn't a speck of anything on these pristine floors. I have one last Japanese lesson tomorrow, but other than that I have no commitments to speak of. What's new.
After cleaning the house I decided to push my singed lungs even further and headed to the gym. Below are some pics I snapped on the way. Actually it was a beautiful day here today; about 60 degrees and sunny. So I ended up wandering around the neighborhood for a while before I got to the gym. Spring is in the air; at least it was today. I noticed that the bats have returned, which made me wonder where bats go during the winter. Do they hibernate, or do they migrate? Migrating bats...just doesn't seem right. I'll have to do some research on that, unless one of my loyal readers can tell me the answer. OK, I'm done.













2 comments:

JS said...

Don't tell my wife about all this "cleaning". Dear lord man, you're going to ruin it for the rest of us if that gets out. Order a pizza or whatever they have that's close to that in Japan. Buy a bunch of beer and live on the couch for a day or two.

Casey said...

your right shades...i'll keep all talk of domestic duties on the DL from now on...funny you mention pizza...they have the major chains here (domino's, pizza hut etc) but they tweak all the toppings and seem to put mayonaise corn on everything, which is a little odd...not to mention that a medium pizza, which would pass as a small in the states, sets you back about $25...