Monday, October 29, 2007

Yay!!!

Break out your goggles, the Red Sox just won the world series....again. Was there every any doubt? Well, there were some anxious moments. Doubt might be a bit of a stretch tough.


And because this is an important event, I made sure to put it on the board in my classroom today, along with all the other important information. And I made sure all the Yankee fans in my classes new that the Red Sox had won the world series. And I also made sure they learned out to tell me congratulations, in English.


I was able to catch the game from the fifth inning on while between classes. I was watching on a little Google gadget thing while correcting quizzes and getting some other busy work done in my office. I nearly lost my mind when, with one out in the bottom of the ninth, my computer froze. I tried closing the browser and kept getting the 'program not responding' message, which just made me hit it more and more trying to get it to work. When the browser finally did close, it did the slow incremental bit that takes thirty seconds to get you back to your normal desktop. I was livid, and scared I was going to get back online to see the Sox celebrating on the field already. Fortunately it all worked out.

And of course we all know about the Patriots. So needless to say, it's a great time to be a Boston sports fan, wherever you may be.

The non-sports aspects of my life have been chugging along. I seem to have found a modicum of peace with the whole wedding thing. Life is a bit crazy at the moment. This is the last week of classes, so next week will just be giving tests and filing grades. After that, things shift into high gear.

Here's a taste of what's in store for Chieko and I:

  • November 15 -- head to Tokyo to meet the family (my family, that is)
  • November 17 -- wedding, after party, hours upon hours of drunken, likely nude karaoke
  • November 18 -- 2 hour train ride to Chieko's parents with my family in tow, spend the night
  • November 19 -- 2 1/2 hour train ride to Kanazawa in the afternoon, arrive in the early evening
  • November 20-23 -- do all sorts of exciting things with my family in Kanazawa
  • November 23 -- 12 pm 3 hour train ride to Osaka, Kansai International Airport, saiyonara family
  • November 23 -- 7 pm jump back on the train and head back to Kanazawa
  • November 23 -- 10 pm arrive back in Kanazawa, probably contract one of those incurable staff infections due to stress and physical exhaustion
  • November 27 -- start work again

At the moment, my main source of stress regarding the wedding is that I'm scheduled to play my guitar in a sing an emotional love song to Chieko during the reception. I don't really like singing in front of anyone, let alone a room full of people, sober. The other issue with this plan is that I haven't actually written the song yet. Yeah, big problem there. I had one about 3/4 finished but wasn't digging it, so I cannibalized a few parts of it and started a new one last weekend. I like it much better, but it needs a lot more work. So there is now a guitar in my office at school, and I'm doing my best to be preoccupied with thoughts of lyrics.

I've always said that I'd rather be busy than be bored, but this is a bit extreme. But I'm really looking forward to seeing my family, and to showing them the sites around here. My parents and one of my brothers have been here before, but the other bro, along with my aunt and uncle, and my neighbors, are all coming here for the first time. So it should be fun.

I might have a little more time in the next week to blog a bit more frequently, should I find anything worth saying. Bed time here. (By the way I'm not proof reading this so if you have any gripes about my grammar or spelling, it's not that I'm stupid, I'm just lazy)

3 comments:

barbara said...

we are all getting excited!!!!!! woo hoo

xoxo

JS said...

Here's a site you might like to keep your mind off the busy stuff: http://news-about-all-nippon-airways.blogspot.com/. It's all about Nippon Airlines. I think you hand blogged about liking the airlines.

As for that song, do the right thing and just do a cover of a good Cole Porter song.

Casey said...

thanks for the link shades...i do like me some airplanes...as for covers, i'm reserving that as a last resort but i should (i hope) be able to churn out something original in the next 2 weeks...