Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Kanazawa Curveball

Hmmm...yesterday: 65 degrees, 30 mph wind= talk of spring and the winter that wasn't.
Today: keep the wind, shave 30 or so degrees off the temperature = snow!!
In true Kanazawa style, the sun was giving it a fighting chance at 8:00 this morning.



But oh, a wicked wind was blowing, and off to the west there was nothing but impending darkness.



And so at 8:05, it looked like this. (check the clock, this literally 5 minutes later)

This was pretty much the day in a nutshell. It was snowing off and on all day, all the while the wind howled. Were it not for the wind, we might have picked up some accumulation. But at the moment things are just wet. Up in my chateau/classroom on the 11th floor of the library, it looked like the clouds were only 100 feet or so above us. This is looking out towards the ocean Sea of Japan.


Aside from the weather, I handed out my first round of grades this afternoon, and then held court in my office later in the day while those who had failed plead their cases with me. I still feel bad failing some of these guys since I like them. If they were bastards it would be a lot easier. But I suppose part of the education you're supposed to get in college is learning responsibility, and accepting the consequences of your actions, or lack of action, in this case.
Part of it is that I'm only few years older than most of my students. That makes the role of disciplinarian a bit tough sometimes for me. I try to walk a line between getting my students to like me, but also to respect me. Some may argue that it doesn't matter if my students like me or not, but I find that things work much smoother in life if people like you than if they don't.
So that's my philosophical bumbling for the night. I've got some natto to eat, now that we can get our hands on it again after the famine, which was a hoax by way. I never got into that after my previous 'Natto Famine of 2007' post, and I'm not going to now. You can Google it up if you're really interested, or plead with me in the comments section and I might cover it later. OK, time to get sticky!!


No comments: