Sunday, September 09, 2007

Sing With Me

I strolled through my front door, more or less in full control of all major faculties, around 3:30 this morning, after a long night of karaoke. The phrases 'control of all major faculties' and 'long night of karaoke' are rarely found in close proximity, but for some reason it worked out that way last night. We sang our brains out for 4 hours, all the while consuming beer, and then went to get some food. There is an all you can drink deal at most establishments that serve booze in Japan called 'nomihodai,' which means 'all you can drink.' The bummer, when it comes to karaoke joints, is that it's an all or nothing proposition; either everyone gets nomihodai, or nobody does. Considering we had a pregnant lady and a person driving a car with us, we ended up paying a lot of money for 3/4 filled beers all night. But that's the way it goes sometimes, I suppose. At least all we had to do to receive 3/4 filled beers was pick up the phone in our karaoke booth.

I freaked out a little bit at the restaurant we went to apres karaoke. It was late, my buzz was wearing off, and everyone kept talking about work. I should mention that I work with most of the people who went to karaoke. I don't generally like talking about work when I'm not at work, but for some reason last night it really pissed me off, and put me in a bit of funk. When I requested that we talk about something, anything, other than work, someone brought up my wedding, and how the planning was going. Hmmm. Honestly, I appreciated the effort to accommodate my grumpiness, but switching the topic to my wedding and the status thereof was no way to brighten my mood. In all fairness, the only cure for my condition at that point was to go home and sleep. So I hope I didn't piss anyone off too badly.

The gold medal of karaoke for the night without question goes to Ernesto, who managed to sing songs in English, Japanese, German, and probably French at some point during the night, and his 8.99999 months pregnant wife Emeline, who despite carrying a fully developed child inside herself managed to hang with us for the duration of the evening. They are also personally responsible for me having 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' stuck in my head all day today.


Needless to say, while I was happily without hangover today, I did spend the first part of the day sleeping. I somehow managed to wake up and put the baseball game on the computer, and then hovered in and out of consciousness, as I usually do, until the game was over. I did happen to grasp my wits long enough to see the Sox nearly brawl it out with the Orioles, then I zonked out again.

This afternoon Chieko and I went to the chiropractor, who luck would have it is one of the guys I see routinely at the gym. Chieko's shoulders have been all banged up, and I always like going to the chiropractor and getting my back sorted out. Just because I don't have any pain doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with me.

It's recently been brought to my attention that my body is badly misshapen. When I was getting measured for the suit I will wear at the wedding, the salesmen told me my left bicep is a full inch smaller than my right. Today, the chiropractor man told me my right leg is about an inch shorter than my left. I don't think that one leg is actually longer than the other, but my body is so out of wack that I'm crooked. He cracked and popped a few things that hopefully will bring myself back into balance, and I'll be going to see him again next weekend to continue the process. If nothing else, I get a good 40 minute massage out of the deal.

In between sleeping and getting my body worked on, I took some pictures of spiders. These things are everywhere, including in our entryway, which is not necessarily cool, as contacting spider webs generally freaks the hell out of me, and that's no way to come home.



We're already an hour into Sunday here, which means I should be sleeping sometime in the very near future. Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

1 comment:

Kent Matsueda said...

Ah hell piss them off. Leave work at work! Too much bitchin' and gossip for a fun night out.

OK, nuf of the rant. Glad to hear that you're keeping the mics warm.

Hope that all goes well and enjoy what left you have of the weekend!