Saturday, August 18, 2007

Blown Away

Oops, he did it again.



The Britney Spears of relief pitching lost yet another game for the Red Sox last night, after they managed a nice comeback in the bottom of the 8th. Eric Gagne's tenure in Boston has thus far been a catastrophe, but I'm not giving up hope just yet. He's got nasty stuff if he can just get out of this rut he's in, IF he's not injured, again. And one thing Terry Francona has done time and again this season, regardless of what no it alls like me spout off, is to stick with guys when they are in a funk. So far this season, considering Coco Crisp, Julio Lugo, Dustin Pedroia, and to some extend JD Drew, his patience has paid off. Still, I think Gagne has only had one good inning since he came to Boston a few weeks ago, so hopefully he'll sort himself out soon.

The first game of the Sox' double header against the Angels was great though. I was awake at 2 o'clock this morning to watch (thanks Slingbox!) the first few innings before I nodded off, and was up again bright and early this morning to catch most of the second game. I had to leave the house just as Gagne came into the game, and can't say I was all that surprised when I returned home a few hours later to see that the Sox had lost.

I thought it was funny back in May and June and the Yankees were in last place, yet when Red Sox Nation discussed the standings we skipped over the other two teams in the middle, fully aware that in the end it would only be New York that we had to worry about. In that regard, our 5 game lead at the moment is a bit tenuous. We've got six games left against the Yankees, and I'd love to see us get the lead back over six so on the off chance that we lose all of those games, we'll still finish in first. Of course (puffs chest), there's no way it will come down to that. Nevertheless, the Red Sox haven't played the Yankees in nearly two months, and they are a much better team now than they were the last time we saw them.

Today Chieko and I secured lodging here in Kanazawa for my family, who will be here in November. Tomorrow I'm going suit hunting. Still no progress on the wedding invitations, but at least we are getting some things done. Going to enjoy this evening with a few beers and a few guitars. Good combination there. Hope everyone is having a good weekend so far.

No comments: