Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Nice Puppy

My distaste for dogs has grown feverishly over the last few years, mostly because the last few places I've lived have been surrounded by dogs who bark incessantly at nearly everything that happens around them. I don't so much blame the dogs for this, as it's a fact of life that dogs bark. Not to mention that every time I go running along the river here in town I inevitably am lunged at by a dog whose owner sees me coming a mile away (who doesn't around here?), yet fails to take up the slack on the leash. Mostly I blame the retarded owners who are oblivious to the fact that not everyone loves their dog, or the sound of it barking maniacally. Still, as much as I despise the owners, I'm not a big fan of the dogs either.

So it's not often that I find myself in the presence of a dog that doesn't fill me with irritation and spite. But last night was an exception. We went to a beach bar a little ways away from here with some friends. It was quite a cool place that most definitely conjured images of MTV Spring Break. Granted there were a few beach hoes slinking around chain smoking, but being a Tuesday night it lacked the drunken energy that its potential suggested. I'm sure on a sweltering weekend it's a different story. However, there was no shortage of people trying to light of fireworks in the 20 mph wind, with remarkable success I might add.

At some point during the evening the skies opened up, and we were forced inside to play some foosball. After whooping ass for a few games and working up a sweat, I sat down at the table our posse had claimed to find this little guy sleeping atop it.



This was a good dog. He would mostly sleep, and most of his waking activity consisted of finding a better place to sleep, either among the debris on the table or nestled in one of our laps. Once in a while he would try to steal a sip from one a beer or a cup of melted ice, but when that didn't work out he would simply go back to sleep. I suppose being 8 inches tall on top of a table limits ones options, but he was remarkably well behaved. Even I had to cradle him on my lap for a little while. If only all dogs were so non-annoying.



It's blasting thunder and lightning outside at the moment, which is all good with me. I sealed the deal on a wedding suit today, and I'm looking forward to trying it on upon completion next month. We have an early day tomorrow. Our good friends Kent and Hyun Joo are heading back to America for good tomorrow morning, and Chieko and I are taking them to the airport at 6:30 in the morning. It's sad to see them go, but I'm happy for them that they are moving on to a new, hopefully exciting and successful, stage of their lives together. I'll do them proper justice with a post sometime tomorrow or the next day though. There is too much to say, and they certainly don't deserve to share a blog post with a stinky dog. Time for me to start thinking about sleep.

No comments: