Sunday, August 19, 2007

I'd Rather Be Watching Baseball

For a few weeks now I've been looking for a suit to where to my wedding in November. There have been a few options on the table: rent a suit, buy an off-the-rack suit, or get one made to my specifications. Renting a suit was never a real option, mostly because I figure if I'm going to spend that much money ($600-700 here in Japan, don't get me started), I'd like to walk away with something I can possibly use again.

This mentality didn't stop me from trying on some rental suits along the way though. We are having a somewhat bastardized wedding with a bit of eastern and western tradition. Actually bastardized is probably too kind a word for what they do to weddings here in Japan (from a westerners point of view at least; looks like I started), but I'm learning that dwelling on that fact has no benefit to anything, specifically my own mental well being.

The main point here is that during the wedding, Chieko and I will be putting on some traditional Japanese wedding garb; Chieko a kimono, me, the male wedding costume, not sure what it's called, pretty sure it's not 'male kimono.' We are renting these outfits, and while I have virtually no choice in what I wear (it's black or white, literally), Chieko has a nearly infinite number of kimonos to choose from. So we go to different shops, Chieko tries on thousands of kimonos, I sit and read and take a picture every few minutes once they've strung another kimono up on her.

Usually the places we go to have a pretty crappy selection of suits; their bread and butter is in kimonos. But the last place we went, when we were in Tokyo a few weeks ago, had LOTS of suits to choose from, so I turned the tables and made Chieko wait and take pictures while I tried on a bunch of suits. Here are some pictures.

I kind of liked this get-up, though the pants were a little shiny.



Boring. Chieko liked it.



The reason I'm not smiling is because I hate this suit. Chieko liked it.



OH!! Money. I was way into this 17th century sweetness. I half-jokingly asked if they had a staff, and the lady came back with a staff AND a top hat. I seriously considered this suit, but it's a little much, and I'm not just saying that because my wife didn't like it.





So, with the option of renting a suit more or less ruled out, I was down to either buying something off the rack, or getting something made. This week I've been cruising around trying on suits, and I keep running into the same problem I encountered back in the states. I'm just between sizes, so nothing fits me perfectly. What's kind of aggravating is that I could pay $1,000 for a suit that doesn't fit me, and the store won't do anything to adjust it. So I've decided order made is the way to go.

Today we went down to a local tailor, picked out some material, got measured up, and I hope to be looking smooth on my wedding day. The pattern I picked wasn't actually in stock, and it's hard to tell much based on a sample piece of cloth the size of a CD case, so they ordered the goods and will let me check them out before making the suit. This is the first time I've ever had a suit made from scratch, and I'm pretty excited about it. After trying on a bunch of pricey suits that didn't really fit, I'm looking forward to getting something made specifically for me that doesn't cost a whole lot more. It makes me feel important or something.

In case you are wondering, the Japanese outfit I'll be wearing is similar to this one. I think the one I'll end up with is black on top, but the bottom is similar to this. Truth be told I think this outfit is really cool and wouldn't mind just wearing it for the entire wedding.



Well, I'm all bloated from a giant dinner of ramen and gyoza, and I need to assume a horizontal position that will most likely result in my loss of consciousness. All in all not a bad way to end the weekend. Have a nice day.

7 comments:

Izzy said...

i vote for the top hat/cane combo. can you still get that?

Casey said...

yeah that was my favorite by a long shot...i think it's still available, but i'm probably not going to go that route...we'll see

barbara said...

you handsome fellow you

Casey said...

thanks MOM!!!

Kent Matsueda said...

"cuz... every girl's crazy for a sharp dressed man!"
-zz top

JS said...

I vote suit #2, the one Chiecko liked and when wearing the Japanese outfit, wear the black top hat with it.

Casey said...

i commissioned a suit and it's just straight black, but i'll have to think about the top hat/japanese outfit combo...you might be onto something