Thursday, August 16, 2007

Get Outta My Rice!!

The other day when I was driving somewhere I just happened to catch these freaky looking scarecrows, and have been meaning to get back and snap a few pictures ever since.




In actuality, I think these are aimed not at crows, but swallows. When we were picking watermelons I kept hearing this blast of air every few minutes, reminiscent of an air canon or a potato gun. I finally inquired with Chieko's dad as to what this sound was. His explanation was that it is meant to scare off swallows, who have a sweet tooth for the inner kernels of the rice plants. I haven't heard of crows posing a problem with rice crops, so I'm guessing these too may be meant to ward off swallows. Either that, or creeping out neighborhood kids.

What brought Chieko and I out of the security of our air conditioning was the necessity to get cracking on our wedding plans for this November. While we were in Tokyo we got a pep talk from our wedding planner, who told us it's time to get going. Knowing our tendency toward procrastination, Chieko and I have been, and must continue to, make a concerted effort to get stuff done, especially while we have a bit of idle time before heading back to work.

Today we were after wedding invitations. We've decided to attempt making our own since we need both Japanese and English on them, and the company we are working with can't make them! We didn't have much luck today, other than getting a better idea of what we want and don't want, and once again realizing that this whole process is going to test our patience. Up tomorrow: more invitation hunting, and scouting out some local hotels to stash my family in when they visit Kanazawa after the wedding.

No comments: