One of the big surprises has been the OTHER Japanese pitcher, Hideki Okajima. While Daisuke Matsuzaka has looked merely human in his appearances far, the little known Okajima has become a savior out of the bullpen, putting up a 0.66 ERA, while giving up just 5 hits and 1 earned run in 13 appearances. So three cheers for Hideki!!

In other Red Sox news, Papelon blew his first save of the year last night. It was bound to happen eventually, but the Sox rebounded tonight with a win against the Oakland A's. Personally, Mike Timlin scares me. It seems like he gives up at least a run every time he takes the hill, and I'm always holding my breath when he's in there.
The Yankees, on the other hand, continue to exist in an injury plagued twilight zone much like the Sox experienced towards the end of last year. Rookie phenom Phil Hughes is the latest casualty, forced to leave after 7 no-hit innings in just his second start because of hamstring issues. I'd feel bad if it weren't the Yankees, who I am physically incapable of having pity for. Besides, everyone knows that by the end of the season they'll be breathing down our necks, as usual. So I'll take pleasure in their pain while it lasts.

No comments:
Post a Comment