
The Red Sox are on fire right now, and while I've been measured in my praise of and expectations for the team, I think it's about time to puff out my chest and acknowledge the fact that they are kicking ass where ever they go. The baseball season being long, and the Red Sox being, well, the Red Sox, the likelyhood that this wave of destruction will last the entire season without falter is unrealistic. So it is time to savor this while it lasts.
Pitching has been the the high point of the season so far. Everyone is talking about how Josh Beckett is 'different' this year; mature, cool, calm, collected, and most importantly more in control of his exceptional 'stuff.'
Curt Schilling, when he isn't whipping up media storms, is the usual Schilling: the mature workhorse who, while not a true fireballer anymore, has become much more of a pitcher. If only he wasn't a Republican.
Daisuke continues to evolve, and I think people, myself included, now realize our expectations were a little too high. Think of what this guy must be going through, adjusting not only to a new baseball league, but to a new culture on and off the baseball field. No dull moments for him these days, I'm sure. He had a great game yesterday though, and hopefully many more to come.
Tim Wakefield has been insane so far, though you wouldn't know it from his win/loss record. Look at his ERA though, and consider again the fact that he is a knuckleball pitcher who doesn't really know where any pitch will go, and the term 'lightning in a bottle' comes to mind.
Julian Tavarez, the Freddy Krueger-esque number five pitcher, has had the luck of going up against the opposing team's ace the majority of his starts. He's managed to hold is own quite well though, and I have to say I have a lot more respect for him than I did last year. Plus it's so cute when he and Manny cuddle on the bench.
A huge factor is that the starting pitchers have been consistently going 7 or 8 innings, and the bullpen has been refreshingly, and somewhat unexpectedly, effective.
Offense has been gaining steam as well, notably with the underwhelming bottom of the order starting to really come through. Dustin Pedroia has started to hit just in time, as Alex Cora is bearing down on the considerably long leash Pedroia was given regarding his adjustment to the majors.
I really hope the Sox will hang on to Mike Lowell. He is by no means a flashy player but is just solid in the field and more often than not at the plate. Equally, if not more important, is the fact that he is a huge presence in the clubhouse for his team mates.
So there's my Red Sox love-in. I'm enjoying this season so far, but have no illusions that it'll be this easy for very much longer. Someone's going to get hurt. The Yankees, while barely creeping up to a .500 record, have been winning just as many games as the Sox lately. And of course, Jesus will walk the Earth again once Clemens joins their rotation next month, so we'll be up against all sorts of stuff then! GO RED SOX!!

No comments:
Post a Comment