Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Taking the Show on the Road

This was the idyllic (sort of) setting of my last class today; a nice patch of well-groomed lawn, cloaked in afternoon sunlight in front of the library.


I took a bit of a gamble and dragged my sixth period class outside this afternoon. Actually no dragging was needed at all, as the class was quite pumped at the prospect of getting outside. Personally I needed to throw myself a curveball by the end of the day. I was dragging all day, both in terms of physical energy and the success of my lessons, so it was as much an act of self preservation as it was a treat for my students.

I say took a bit of a gamble for a couple of reasons. First, while I've contemplated bringing classes outside for a while, I'd never actually done it before today. There are a lot of variables to consider when doing this, from the prospect of wind blowing people's papers all over the place, to getting attacked by ants, to keeping the students focused and productive given all the distractions of the great outdoors. For all it's blandness, the confines of a classroom generally work to my advantage.

At my school, classes are grouped by major. So I have English classes full of urban designers, electrical engineers, civil engineers, aeronautical engineers, etc. In any given class, all the students are from the same major. Another part of the gamble was the fact that the group I took out today is generally regarded as the most A.D.D. prone batch. A lot of teachers have trouble getting students in this major to pay attention in class, do their work, and generally have a good attitude. I've only taught this group two times, but both times they have been pretty great students. Granted they aren't the most motivated bunch, but that's pretty well par for the course teaching English to engineering students in Japan. The reality is they like numbers and math and things like that, and they are forced to study English by the college. The notion that it will more often than not be a struggle to motivate them is as obvious as the fact that the sky is blue. And it was very blue today, by the way, which is part of the reason we all wanted to get outside so badly. Besides, at only 10 students, this class is my smallest, and that's about the limit of people that you can keep an eye on at any one time.

So the gods of English teaching were smiling on me as the wind was calm, the ants were otherwise occupied, and the students were, by and large, very attentive. It may have had something to do with my stern warning that sleeping in the sun would not be permitted, and that if anyone was not on their best behavior, this would be a one shot deal.

There was an interesting moment on our way outside, when we got out of the elevator and went out in front of the library, and I asked the students where they wanted to sit. There were a few options, some shaded, some in the direct sun, and I didn't want to be responsible for anyone claiming skin cancer. Japanese people are very paranoid about exposure to the sun. The students just kind of looked at me as though they had no say in the matter, so being a pasty American always in search of a tan, I chose the sunniest spot.

(Editor's Note: I had written a big long introspective bit regarding my philosophy towards being a classroom leader as it pertains to this moment of indecision in front of the library, but upon rereading it I realized that, as much as I understood what it said, it probably wouldn't have made a damn bit of sense to anyone else who read it. Thus, on to the next subject!!)

In avian news, there are about a zillion of these feisty little poop manufacturers in the neighborhood lately. They crap on EVERYTHING, but mostly cars.



So, this was meant to be a quick little blog post, but it turned into a 45 minute affair in which I expounded on lots of things regarding my approach to teaching, then erased it all. But I've clarified some things in my own mind that the rest of humanity doesn't necessarily HAVE to be privy to, so that's good. And now, I've got a steaming iron calling my name, so y'all have a nice day!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice idea getting the kids outside! you're talking about VD students aren't you?

glad it went well... i've always wondered how that might work.

Anonymous said...

oh that previous comment was me -- sheryl!

Casey said...

your guess is correct sheryl...don't know how often i'll do it since most of my classes are too big but it was a nice change of pace...yankees beat the redsox again, you happy?

Anonymous said...

you keep up posting your events every day and its awsome. im too lazy to even check my e-mail box everyday...lol well, btw i actually made myspace (http://www.myspace.com/tomohiroashero), so you could go see my ENGLISH blog.:) even though i havent updated any comments yet. im such a slucker.lol

Casey said...

thanks for reading tomo...i'll check your myspace...how's america?