Sunday, May 20, 2007

What're You Lookin' At?

This morning I went to Toys R' Us, plopped down about $15, and got me a sport kite with big, beady, bloodshot eyes. If I had a room full of kites to choose from I may have opted for something different, but such was not nearly the case. In fact, this was the only choice, which made the decision easy.

From the toy store it was straight to the beach to put this device and inscessent stare through its paces. For the price, I was not in the least disappointed. Honestly, I'm amazed at how much fun flying a kite can be.


I mean, look at how goofily happy I am!!


From what I understand from Kent, my personal kite guru, good sport kites can run several hundred dollars. So you can surmise that the one I bought is, shall we say, a piece of junk. But let me remind you that neither the physics nor the materials necessary to successfully fly a kite are all that exotic, which means for my purposes this kite is just fine. Actually, given my novice sport kite status, the frequency with which I nose dive them into the ground at a high rate of speed guarantees that it's only a matter of time before I break whatever kite I'm using. So $15 is a nice initial investment that I won't feel bad about, inevitably, losing.

If you aren't familiar with sport kites, they are distinguished from normal kites by the fact that they have to two handles which allow you to steer the kite and make it do fancy little spins and dives and generally entertaining things. I highly recommend that everyone who reads this promptly go down to the local toy store and buy yourself a sport kite, head to the nearest beach/field, crash your kite into the ground a few times, then proceed to enjoy making it scoot all over the place.

Other than extreme kite enjoyment, this weekend was largely uneventful. And now, I will begin migrating myself towards the bed. Back to la grind tomorrow. Enjoy your Sunday if it isn't finished yet.

1 comment:

Kent Matsueda said...

I'm hardly a guru, but thanks! It was a great time and I'm sure it'll be one of the best purchases for $15 you can make.

The next tier up are kites that can basically do every kind of trick in the book for $50-100 from what I've seen.

The pro kites are a few hundred c-notes, but I can't justify spending cash on something like that unless you're competing.

See you out there next weekend? :-)