Monday, June 04, 2007

Do You Know This Man?

I'll give you a hint: 'It's and a-bomb, from A-Rod!!'
Need another: 'Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Yankees win! Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa--Yankees--win!!'
If you ever listen to WEEI, FoxSports Radio, or, god forbid, live broadcasts of New York Yankees' baseball games, then you've probably been unfortunate enough to hear the above phrases droned by this guy, who I was surprised to see isn't 150 years old and broadcasting from a stretcher in the ICU of some hospital. His name is John Sterling, and you can direct any resentment over last night's Red Sox loss to the Yankees at his picture.


I won't call into question the character of the man since for all I know he runs an orphanage and raises baby pandas and does all sorts of good things when he's not celebrating the Yankees with the cheesiest expressions imaginable, in perhaps the most annoying fashion EVER. I'm willing to bet Yankee fans feel differently. Sheryl, you know this guy?

Personally, I much prefer the stylings of the Red Sox' own Jerry Remy and Don Orsillo. Given the frequency with which these two completely lose their sh*t and laugh uncontrollably for minutes at a time, I'm quite certain they have the announcers booth fully fish bowled with a chair jammed against the door.



Now, about that game last night. The two golden boys of Boston, Okajima and Papelbon, in turns allowed the tying and then winning runs in the 8th and 9th innings. And the death-blow was, of course, 'an a-bomb, from A-Rod!!' He must have felt great doing that after catching it hard from Boston fans over the last three days. It must kind of suck to be him.

And now, to be alarmist for a minute. The Sox have lost 4 of the 6 last games against the Yankees. The same Yankees that we Red Sox fans have enjoyed watching writhe in agony, dry heaving on the floor up until now. Consider this: had these last six games been the ALCS, that crappy Yankees team just knocked us out of the playoffs. That's a stretch I know, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Sox and Yankees meet yet again in the post season, and if they give us as much trouble as ever. Their season can only get better comparing to what it's been so far; the Red Sox' season, in all likelihood, can only get worse. Tough series against the A's starting up tomorrow, so we'll see how things go. I need to take a deep breath.

No comments: