Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Salute!!

I failed to mention in my last post that the other thing I did this past weekend was get myself a soldier-boy haircut for the summer. It's starting to get hot and humid here, and I've been finding myself less and less tolerant of hair, particularly my own.

My philosophy towards haircuts is that I'm never happy with the result, so I rarely get them, and when I do, cheaper is better. Can't say I'm terribly pleased with this job either, but what can you expect from a 1000 yen haircut from a lady with purple hair whose salon is half occupied with a giant, home made ode to Pirates of the Caribbean (think huge styrofoam skull, tiki torches, model pirate ship, ample Johnny Depp pictures)?

My new 'do' was all the rage at work yesterday, where I was turning heads among students and coworkers alike. The nicest complement I got from my coworkers was 'You look young.' They say that when I do anything to slightly change my appearance. I also got several soldier-oriented comments.

My friend/coworker Hyun Joo said 'You got your hair cut short. Did you want it that way?'

But the most amusing comment came from the guy whose office is next to mine. 'Dude you got your hair cut. Nice, but you look a little like Frankenstein.' I would have been offended had the thought not actually crossed my own mind the day before. Hopefully after a week or so the boxy shape this cut gives my head will mellow out a bit. 'Don't worry, it'll grow back,' he added. And it will.


And just in case you thought I was lying for some reason about the pot leaves on cars and stuff, I noticed these two specimens on my way to the gym this evening. As you can see this driver flaunts a trio of leaves, along with a spider man clinging to the back window, AND the 'new driver' tag to the left of the spare tire.



Here we have a more traditional rasta-inspired ganja leaf.
I was going to buy some pot leaf air fresheners to further prove my point, but when I stopped at the convenience store tonight they didn't have any.





I was all fired up and ready to complain about Japan when I got home tonight, but I've settled down substantially now that I've got some food and a glass of wine in me, so I'll spare everyone the rant. But just so you know, it would have revolved around my neighbors dog barking, crows screaming (in harmony with the dog), and the line of reasoning that compels the smelliest people at the gym not to wear socks, all of which are bound to piss me off again in the future, so I'll wait until then to moan about it here. Good night.


2 comments:

barbara said...

it is still the 20th here, but i know it is the 21st there, so HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

We love you both.

xoxoxo
mom and dad

Casey said...

thanks!!