
Soft drink companies do a lot of business here in Japan, but not by selling soda. The bulk of coolers in convenience stores are taken up with tea and sports drinks, all distinctly lacking the one thing that Coke and Pepsi products are built on: sugar. The Japanese people I've met have a low tolerance for sweet, sugary things, and a trip to any drink machine is evidence of this. Flavors in general are toned down here, though not in bad way. I think there are far less artificial flavors here, though I've grown to appreciate what I perceived as a lack of flavor when I first came to Japan. That lack of flavor is actually the way whatever I'm eating or drinking actually tastes, before being tainted with sugar and other flavor enhancers. While in general I appreciate the more natural state in which we ingest food and drink here in Japan, there is plenty of unhealthy crap to enjoy here as well. Sadly, Taco Bell is not on that list.
But you probably could care less about what I've been blabbering on about. You want to know what the hell cucumber flavored soda tastes like, right? It's about as you'd imagine: vaguely cucumberish, but mostly sugary. Can't say I'll buy this ever again, though when I woke up with cotton mouth at 7:30 this morning and polished off the rest of my Ice Cucumber before doing an about-face back to bed, I was not complaining.

3 comments:
I don't know if I could drink a carbonated salad. If you ever get to Atlanta, GA, you have to do the tour at World of Coke. They have Coke from around the world you can taste. Very few taste like what we know Coke to taste like.
have you seen the melon, green tea, sakura, or strawberry flavored Kit Kats?
i think there are even more, but thats all i can remember now.
i have seen those kit kats, but can't remember if i tried any of the funkier flavors...i always thought sakura flavored anything is a bit of a joke though...can't imagine it tastes like much...
Post a Comment