
Personally, I'd let this one go by the wayside. He's a good pitcher, but I'm not at all comfortable with what we would have to give up to get this guy. Namely, John Lester, the ace-in-the-making that the Sox have been having wet dreams about for the last few years, and who for a few months last year turned those dreams into somewhat of a reality before going down with CANCER, and on his comeback trail has been lighting things up in Pawtucket. Not to mention the karmic implications of trading Lester before he makes his return to the Sox starting lineup, for pure pitching reasons I don't want to let him go.
The other oft-mentioned chip in this trade is Jacoby Elsebury (spelling? I'm too lazy for google at this hour), who everyone has been talking up throughout Coco Crisp's crappy year so far, and who also is lighting things up in AAA this year, after making the leap from single A just a few weeks ago.
Not to mention Kayson Gaberd (again, the spelling thing) who is a promising young pitcher in Pawtucket.
The old saying is that there's no such thing as too much pitching. After last year I believe in that more than ever. Nevertheless, I wouldn't do this deal. Schilling is down now, but we have Lester on the verge of coming back, and for some reason Julian Tavarez is doing amazingly well so far. If it goes beyond that, we have some promising young arms we could bring up, plus an 11 game lead in the division, and I just don't see this as a worthwhile move, even if it prevents the Yankees from landing Burhle. Are we really that worried about the Yankees at this point? We have the whole next generation of Red Sox waiting in the wings to replace guys who will either be traded way, retire, or whose contracts will expire in the next year or two, so why would we sacrifice that now, when there is no real need? Any thoughts my one or two readers who are Sox fans?

4 comments:
No thanks. MB has too many innings on his arm. Added, he is not a power pitcher but rather a breaking ball pitcher. That adds stress to the arm.
good points...apparently we're out of the running now anyway, so it's moot...on a different note, how bad does mike timlin look these days?
Keep things the way they are, but Schilling is on a downward spiral- I'm not impressed with him this year- keep him on the DL and give Kayson a chance.
yeah schilling hasn't exactly been a model of consistency so far but he's pretty important to the pitching rotation, methinks...kayson didn't exactly light things up last night (understatement) but he's got some good stuff if he's not a wild man...i think we'll be ok though...maybe
Post a Comment