Monday, July 23, 2007

Nature's Bountry, Sort Of

Since my last post a few days ago, it's been raining pretty much constantly here in Kanazawa. Today started out the same, but by early afternoon the clouds were on their way out, and the sun was taking charge. With my tan rapidly fading, that meant I was headed down the beach for a little kiting in the late afternoon sun.

After an hour or so of doing the same 2 tricks I can do with my kite over and over again, I brought her down and went about busying myself with my camera while I waited for the sunset.

The amount, manner, and origin of crap that washes up on Japan's shores continues to intrigue me. Last time I was at the beach I cautioned my readers about the puffer fish scattered randomly around the beach. Today, fruit and veggies were the order of the objects of my attention. I started off with this still life here. The gnarled carrots and hunk of watermelon skin were actually lying in close proximity to each other. I found the tomato some distance away.



No sooner had I ceremoniously hucked the tomato back into the froth from whence it came, when this eggplant rolled up on the shore. If only I'd resisted man's age old urge to hurl things into the sea, my still life could have been one eggplant more complete.



As if to rub salt in the wound of missed artistic opportunity, I practically stepped on this cucumber when I turned away from the eggplant.



Finding no other produce in the immediate vicinity, I decided to leave my mark on the beach.



Don't forget your fathers.



The sun eventually did set, and it was beautiful. None of my actual sunset pictures are that spectacular though, and I much prefer these two pics of a sunset-drenched shoreline.




At long last, Chieko and I are headed up to Niigata tomorrow afternoon. For some odd reason I'm actually looking forward to some back breaking watermelon picking. I've had a few idle weeks in terms of being very productive, so I suppose I'm happy to have something new to do. Never picked watermelon before. We'll be there for almost two weeks, with a few trips to Tokyo thrown in, so I'm bringing the computer with me. Watermelon oriented blog posts forthcoming.

1 comment:

barbara said...

HI CASEY AND CHIEKO

XOXOXOXO