Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Vermont Is Good

One thing I was really looking forward to doing on this trip home was to visit Vermont. Aside from Cape Cod, where I spent the first 18 years of my life, Vermont is the place I've spent the most time. In the 8 or so years I lived there, the place left it's mark on me. All I can say is that it's a special, beautiful, peaceful place. I love Burlington, which is a great little city overlooking Lake Champlain and surrounded by the Green Mountains. Being home to several colleges, Burlington has a great vibe to it, along with lots of cool bars, restaurants, shops, and a really good music scene. I don't have too many friends left up in Vermont, but several of my closest are still there. Since I didn't make it to Vermont when I was home in March, and I hadn't seen my friends since last summer, I was excited to be heading north for a few days.

One of the major perks I get when I come home, aside from visiting my family and friends, is that I get to drive this sweet little car the majority of the time. This is my dad's 1999 BMW Z3 Coupe. It's a whole lotta fun to drive, especially on those winding Vermont roads, and lots of people stare at me when I drive by.



The first day in Burlington was a wash, but the next day the sun made it through to make a beautiful late afternoon by the lake. My friend Alistair had been staying in a lakeside cottage for the week, so that's where I headed for a day of lounging around, playing horseshoes, whiffle ball, sipping beer and grilling various meats. The guys and girls there were all big into fishing, and I admit that when they talked about fishing, I didn't really have any clue as to what the hell they were talking about.



The next day my friend Shon and I hit the links for 18 holes of crappy golf. It's been a while since I swung a golf club, which is no excuse for my poor play, since I'm no good even when I do play somewhat regularly. I shot a generous 91 on a par 3 course, and was reminded that of all the weaknesses in my golf game, putting is the most horrid.



In the afternoon I headed down town to stroll around on Church Street, which is a pedestrian-only main street in the center of Burlington. It's lined with shops and restaurants, many with sidewalk dining. There are always street musicians and other performers doing there thing on Church Street, so it's a great place to hang out and people watch.



And that was it. I left the next morning for a the 4 hour trek back to the Cape after a too-brief three day stay in the Green Mountain state. I do hope I'll be back there sooner than later. Cape Cod is in my blood, but Vermont is in my soul.

4 comments:

JS said...

Did you go to UVM?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming up to B-ton, Casey, it was good to see you and catch up. Have a safe trip back to J-pan, brotha!

Casey said...

no i went to st. michael's, small liberal arts college nearby...it's actually in colchester,vt, which is the town right next to burlington proper...
was great to see you all as well alistair, hopefully we can do it again soon...get over to japan one of these days man!

Anonymous said...

Yea, maybe I'll skip over for a weekend or something (ha,ha).... I'd love to, but time and money are waving their ugly fingers at me!